Saturday, September 12, 2009

Attraction

This weekend at my church, we start the series Five Easy Steps to Wreck Your Life - with the first topic being adultery. I can confidently say that adultery is one area that I will not give into...the reason I am confident is that I've had many opportunities.

When I was married, I was the target of several different men throughout the years. I was even once told by a married man that because I traveled as part of my job, I would eventually give into adultery because "everyone who travels does it." I was absolutely appalled! But that was his reality, and unfortunately, is a reality shared by many.

What causes a person to break the sacred commitment they made to their spouse, or to tempt someone else to break that commitment? I will go out on a limb and say that most people don't enter into a marriage expecting to cheat, but something happens and they give into temptation.

I've met with several people who are victims of adultery, and I have experienced it first hand myself. One thing I can say is that the enemy who is the father of lies sticks with things that work, and adultery is a well refined recipe. While I may never understand why a person steps across that line, what I do know is that through the redemptive blood of Jesus Christ, there can be healing.

There are many resources available for those affected by adulterous relationships, including a story written by a lady I admire greatly whose husband fathered a child with another woman, but yet today their marriage is one of the strongest I have ever seen. Her name is Cindy, and you can follow her story here.

Because I have experience with this sin in my own life and family, I try to be acutely aware of anything I do that may be a temptation. Our church does not allow married staff members to ride in a car or be alone with members of the opposite sex if either one of them is married. I take this a step farther and will not meet, even casually, with a married man without his wife or others present. This is not only for my protection, but also to protect the other person...I never want to be a stumbling block for someone else.

You cannot control others, but you can control your actions and inactions. Check your heart, check your actions and check your relationships. What are you doing to protect yourself from crossing that line?

No comments: