Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Meaning of a Note

Mail - I used to love going to the mail box, hoping that there was something just for me.  That was before my mail began to consist of bills, ads and more bills.  Mail lost all of its fun when what I looked forward to was my monthly bank statement.  You know what I'm talking about - when the Wednesday ads aren't even interesting anymore.

But every once in a great while when I go to the mail box, there's something that causes me to run back into my apartment with anticipation - hardly making it up the steps before I begin to tear the envelope apart.  A handwritten note or card from someone who was thinking about me - from someone who took the time out to write a note to say they care.

The art of writing notes and using "snail mail" has tumbled into a deep chasm, replaced by e-mail and text messaging.  I am oh so guilty of neglecting this communication art myself - I blame it on my poor handwriting.  But awhile back, I decided to take a run at resurrecting note writing and began sending small cards with a "just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you" thoughts to some of the people who impacted me the previous week.  I don't do it enough, and I'm trying to expand my horizons beyond the volunteers in our ministry, but at least I'm trying.  And, it's working.  I've received several e-mails this week stating how much they appreciated receiving a card.  One of the e-mails said "I know you don't have time for writing notes, and yet you do."  This has changed my perspective - I now feel: How can I not have time to write these notes?  How can I go a day, week or month without letting people know that I care and am thinking about them?  If the few minutes it takes each week to write cards, address them and slap a stamp on the front positively impacts only one life, then it's worth it!

What about you?  When is the last time you wrote a note with your very own hand (not on a keyboard, QWERTY or otherwise)?  When is the last time you received a handwritten note?  If it's been awhile, let me know - I'll send you one!  Better yet - send some out yourself and see if you don't get one or two in return.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just sent some in the mail yesterday! For some people that means more to them that a phone call or an email. I'm definitley one of those people! I find that in today's society there are a lot of people who have no idea of the power of a "handwritten" note.

I finished reading the book last night, The Last Lecture, and it speaks of the art of thank you notes, thinking of you notes, etc... in it as well. (Definitley recommend this book, true story)

Unknown said...

Guess what I got last night in the mail? Bizarro! Wasn't expecting a thank you note from the new sis in law! Cool! :) See ya!