Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ouch!

I was reminded today of something my son said to me a few years ago, "Mom, sometimes you treat your friends better than you treat me."  Ouch!  It was true!  I was often on my best behavior around my friends.  I look forward to being with them because they make me happy, and...I want them to like me.  Shouldn't I be the same with my family?

We often feel like it's okay to "let down" when we come home because home is our safe place.  It's a place where we don't have to be someone we're not, where we can just be ourselves.  Well, if being ourselves means that we are ugly, grumpy and rude, then maybe we ought to look at who we really are...and not make excuses.  Whether we have had a good day or the worst day ever, there is never an excuse to be ugly, grumpy or rude to anyone we are around...including our family!

There are times I still fall into the trap and am less than pleasant at home, but for the most part, I try to be the same person no matter who I'm with.  I want to be known as someone who smiles and is optimistic - to everyone I meet.  If I succeed, hopefully people, including my family, will see Jesus through me.  If not...then Heaven help everyone because it may not be pretty!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post Robyn! Amazing how kids speak the truth when we don't want to hear it. :( Too many times I've fallen in that trap, especially at work, with wanting to "fit in" Your post is a gentle reminder to be the REAL you no matter where you are. Thanks! Steph

Robyn S Brinkley said...

Thanks for the comment Steph! If you ever see me putting on my "Robyn the Character" face, slap me! I'm trying to be myself everywhere!