Monday, August 30, 2010

Hot Pursuit

I was reading in 1 Samuel 14 about Israelites who had been hiding in the hill country joined a battle against the Philistines. Now, stories of Israelites against Philistines are often told throughout the Old Testament, but this account caught my eye because of two simple words – “hot pursuit.” I was using the online Bible application http://www.youversion.com/, and I just had to pull out my old fashioned paper Bible to make sure that the translation was correct. Sure enough, my NIV said in 1 Samuel 14:22:


“When all the Israelites who had hidden in the hill country of Ephraim heard that the Philistines were on the run, they joined the battle in hot pursuit.”
I’m not exactly sure why, but the words “hot pursuit” made me chuckle. I expect to hear these words on an episode of Cops, or in a movie where the police are pursuing a band of criminals, but not in my Bible. It made me wonder – what did “hot pursuit” look like for the Israelites? Were they running as fast as they could, in full armor, wielding their swords above their heads? Were they on horseback, charging with swords and spears aimed forward? Was there someone in the group yelling a play-by-play back to the dispatch messenger “We’re running through Shrub Hill, into Grass Valley. Now we’re turning towards Rock Canyon and Adam 12 is in front putting out the spike strips to slow the Philistine horses.”

I digress – big time.

In this particular story, God had caused the Philistine army to become confused so that Israel would be successful in their battle with the Philistines. The next verse recounts Israel’s victory:

“So the Lord rescued Israel that day, and the battle moved on beyond Beth Aven.” 1 Samuel 14:23.
Because the Israelites were faithful in listening to and waiting for God, they defeated the Philistine army on this day. Their “hot pursuit” was after the Philistines, but before they launched their attack, they sought God and His direction – in essence, they pursued Him, and God not only met them, but laid a path for them to follow.

Those two crazy words – hot pursuit – really made me ask the question of myself “Towards what am I in Hot Pursuit?” What is it that I’m chasing after with such veracity that it can be called pursuit? And am I leading an army of people to do the same?

You can ask yourselves these same questions. Pursue after God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength and He will create in you a Hot Pursuit.

No comments: