Monday, March 3, 2014

Recovering Grumbler

Hi, my name is Robyn and I am a Grumbler. I am really skilled at grumbling about anything and everything that isn't going exactly the way I expect. What I'm even better at is surrounding myself with people who will grumble with me!

Growing up, I always got good grades in school without really trying. This continued into adulthood - succeeding in work, receiving promotions and even winning awards. However, the more success, the more I expected others to step up with the same qualities that I felt I possessed. I expected - no, required - others to perform with the same level of excellence (whether or not I truly lived up to that "excellence" is a topic for another date...and likely therapy). When others didn't meet my expectations, I complained.

The higher the lack of discipline, integrity, work ethic,  or skill - or even knowledge on how to fill the copy machine with paper (you know what I'm talking about - the person who always leaves it empty, then you go to make a copy of something that your boss needs urgently, and all of the trays on the blasted million dollar copy machine are empty) - the more annoyed I became.

Even worse - I employed others to join my grumbling cause. Not their fault - it was mine. I didn't just mutter my discontent, I shouted from the rooftops - "So-and-so never fills the copier; it's time that they learned a lesson.  Who's with me?"

Then, I recalled this:
  'Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain.' Philippians 2:14-16 NIV
Oops. There's an eye-opener; a clear reminder. Isn't it just like God to hit us upside the head with His Word? Change is necessary!

As I began focusing on God's truths, what He wants for me, and how better to serve His Kingdom, I became more content. With less complaining, those around me changed as well. I am now surrounded by people who lift me up and are willing to slap me back down when ugliness spews from my mouth. My expectations of others has morphed to that of acceptance, and my circle of influence has become one filled with grace and mercy.
...Hi. My name is Robyn, and I am a Recovering Grumbler....
I will shout from the roof tops that, while I am still a sinner, my God is merciful through Jesus Christ! Now who's with me?

As for that person without paper-filling, jam-clearing copier skills...I now just shake my head and laugh as I "joyfully" add paper to the million dollar copier (for a million dollars, shouldn't the thing fill itself anyway?).

No comments: