Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Moving Too Fast

Does it seem that the world is moving too fast lately?  Examples:
  • My son is less than a month away from getting his drivers permit.
  • My 44th birthday was 2 days ago - where did 43 years go?
  • The first week of my new job as Children's Pastor at Peoples Church has already passed.
  • My last post was 16 days ago...ugh.
  • It's already 11:45 and I have accomplished very little.
Time is racing by!  Lately I have been feeling the heaviness of how short our time is on this earth.  

'He who testifies to all these things says it again "I am on my way.  I will be there soon."' Rev 22:20 The Msg.

I am blown away by how much there is to do, and it begs the question - Why is everything so urgent?  Immediate deadlines:  relaunch of Peoples Church including total overhaul of children's ministry by August 17th (remember, I came on staff July 15th). Over at LC.tv the Tulsa campus is launching a 7th experience this weekend (decided last week).  School starts earlier than ever in less than 3 weeks.  Blog updates, emails, telephone calls, newsletters all need to happen to relay the urgency of God's plan.

Why do we do this to ourselves?  Why retool an entire church?  Why launch more experiences, pushing staff and resources to the limit?  Why set deadlines that are seemingly impossible to achieve?  Why not just slow down and maybe smell the roses a bit?

Why?  Because God is moving faster, and we have to move with Him.  As each day passes, we are one day closer to His return and it is our responsibility to make sure that every ear has heard the Truth of hope through Jesus Christ.  Each night, as I lay my head on my pillow (right after I remind myself that I need to fit some time in to wash the linens this weekend), I pray for the energy and stamina to keep up with the One who is omnipresent, and ask that since I can't be at all places at one time, that He move me purposely, albeit swiftly, towards His destination.  I pray that as things swirl at a pace that few people could have ever imagined, He keep my focus on the one true purpose...to share the love of Jesus Christ to those whose paths I cross.

No comments: