Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Conduct

Working at Panera Bread because the new offices don't yet have internet or phone access.  After sitting here for hours, in the same booth sipping my iced tea that I paid way too much for, I am beginning to lose my patience.  Not because of any circumstance necessarily, but honestly because I have so much to do and all I can think of is how certain body parts are crying out in pain from this booth, and how I am going to smell like toasted focaccia bread when I get home.  :-)  

As my patience grows thin, I am reminded of a scripture I heard this morning in Philippians:

"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.  Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel..." Philippians 1:27

Paul wrote this in a letter to the Philippians, reminding them that they are to live all of the qualities of Christ whether he (Paul, their "pastor") is present or not.  Qualities like compassion, kindness, patience, gentleness, humility, honor, hope, faith and love, to name just a few.  I am embarrassed to say that several times today I failed to uphold more than one of those qualities. 

Today, it seems that Paul was writing to me directly.  Do I conduct my life in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ no matter what I am doing?  Do I represent Christ the same when I am "working" as children's pastor at People's Church as I do when I am at home or with my friends and family - or sitting at Panera Bread, or in rush hour traffic?  Hmmm...good question.  How about you?

No comments: