Saturday, October 18, 2008

Days Off

I took a few days off during Josh's fall break to spend time focusing on him (as much as he would let me).  In one day, I drove over 100 miles shuffling him and his friends to various skate parks and other entertainment venues.  Today - picked him up from camping, cooked him breakfast and had some great face time talking about hunting.  Now, he's off to hang with his friends and attend a 16th birthday party.

He's growing up and needing less time with his dear old mom.  I've sewn the seeds of responsibility, knowing right from wrong, and sticking up for what's right even under peer pressure.  I'm praying fervently that those seeds have taken root...and I see some evidence of a sprout under that tough 15-1/2 yr old derma.

Example of a discussion today:
Josh:  Okay if we go to a birthday party tonight? Cody is driving.
Me:  What time will you be home?
Josh:  IDK (which means I don't know, if you don't have teenagers of your own...duh!)
Me:  Okay, curfew is midnight.  You know I trust you to make the right decisions.  Up to this point you I've been able to trust you and your friends.  But the minute one of you makes the wrong choice, it will ruin it for everyone.
Josh:  I know - it will really suck if someone messes it up for all of us.  Love you!

I hope all of his friend's parents are having the same discussion.  I know one of them will mess it up at some point...and Josh is right, it will suck!  I pray it won't put anyone in danger...and I pray it's not Josh!  Lord, cover Josh and be his shield.  Command your angels to guard him when he is on the field.  Rescue him and protect him, and answer him when he calls on you.

Yes - he really did say Love You!  And then picked me 3 feet up off of the floor in a huge bear hug.  Life is good!

No comments: