Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Doubt and a Gas Station

When my son was just a kid, my folks took us to the Christmas Train in Dry Gulch. We were so excited to go that none of us thought to see how much gas was in our car. While singing Christmas songs and enjoying family time, we heard the unfortunate “ding” followed by a steady red light blaring the dreaded words “Low Fuel.” We were far from any gas station, it was extremely cold outside, we were already running late for our Christmas Train time slot, and by golly nothing was getting in our way of family fun! So we continued on, all the while knowing that we didn’t have enough fuel to get back to town that evening.

Later, as we piled back into the car, laughing and enjoying the caffeine and sugar high from hot cocoa, we remembered that we still had a dilemma – no gas. My son, being the faithful believer in Christ, simply said “Let’s pray, God will get us home.” (With the voice of love, but with the heart of feeling like a parental failure, I said: Right, good job son!)

Well, thanks be to God we made it home…God did deliver. I’m sure you expect me to end with scripture and say “faith like a child,” faith as small as a mustard seed,” or some other worthy devotion, but that’s not the moral of this story. Today, I’m writing about Perseverance, Wisdom and Doubt. While Josh had complete faith, us adults in the vehicle had Doubt (and definitely lacked wisdom leaving without filling up to begin with). Thank goodness our Provider listened to Josh instead of the adults!

Stay with me here…

Fast forward some 14 years – I have often used the following scripture in James 1, as a comfort to myself as well as to others I have mentored:

James 1:2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Through many sleepless nights I tried to remind myself that there is “joy” somewhere within my suffering – that God had it all under control. I must simply persevere.

Today, God brought this scripture to my mind once again – not in a sleepless night, but instead in the midst of a beautiful morning.  As I opened my heart to read, TRULY read God’s word, he opened my eyes to a new understanding.  The scripture continues as follows: 

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do…12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

In previous times and during those sleepless, tear-filled nights, God knew I could only handle His gentle nudge to persevere. Today, He is sharing more of His promise – that with Wisdom I can be free of Doubt, so that I will not only Persevere, but I will receive Joy and His crown of life!

Back to my story about Josh. He knew he had a personal relationship with the One who could stretch the fuel beyond the tank’s capacity and deliver us safely to a gas station. It was a test, with boldness he prayed that God would deliver.  And boy, did He ever deliver! Once at the gas station, we filled the fuel tank to the top. A car usually takes one or two more gallons than is stated in a car’s owners’ manual…but this time, when the pump finished dispensing fuel, it read almost FOUR full gallons MORE than it should have, and it was two more gallons than had ever been put in that car!


With Wisdom, do not Doubt, Persevere in suffering, withstand the test and receive the Crown of Life with Joy! While you’re at it, have child-like faith – sometimes those crazy kids are onto something!

No comments: