Friday, January 10, 2014

Olfactory Discipleship

I am a “sensor.”  I use all of my five senses in how I navigate my life and make decisions – touch, smell, sight, hearing and taste. Being a sensor, I especially appreciate a good hug – and if you smell good when I accept your embrace, even better. While some days the only hug I receive is from my dog Lightning (who puts up with me), the hug I appreciate the most is from my son Josh. Not only is he an amazing hugger, he also has a very distinct smell – no matter the cologne or deodorant, this Mama knows the smell of her one and only son.

Aromas can be very powerful. The fragrance of cinnamon roasted almonds makes me think of the state fair.  Burnt spaghetti reminds me of growing up in Golden, Colorado where Coors Brewery roasted barley and hops, usually on Wednesdays. Varnish brings me back to the days going to the lake with my Grandparents in my Grandpa’s work van - Grandpa wouldn’t stop for “tee tee” breaks, so we had to use an empty Porter Paint varnish can.

As with anything from our life history, there are times when a fragrance may not return pleasant memories. There are also times when our olfactory system picks up an aroma that we cannot place, but yet it provides us with a sense of safety, peace and comfort.

But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ’s triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere.  2 Corinthians 2:14 

The aroma of the knowledge of Jesus Christ everywhere; the very smell of redemption permeating the air.  I imagine a parade, Jesus high on a grand float all decorated in beautiful white roses, his white robe flowing and scarred hands waving, with each of us Believers in grand procession following as those who don’t know Jesus take in the sight and smell of His majesty! Ah the aroma!


Pay attention to the “perfume” of life.  And when you sense a fragrance that you can’t quite place, but it still provides you comfort, close your eyes, tune out the rest of the world.  Take time to feel God’s amazing hug and know that He is filling you with the knowledge of Christ’s redeeming power and love. 

No comments: