Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Family

In the previous blog, I failed to mention my Family in my list of blessings. I’d love to say that it was purposeful because I planned to create another post about family, but that wouldn’t be truthful. The truth is – I take my family for granted! I have the most amazing parents! I am blessed with more than the standard Mom and Dad because I have a Stepmom and Stepdad as well. All four of my parents have been extremely instrumental in molding and shaping me into who I am today. Oh, and I have two sisters, who are both married, and I have 9 nieces and nephews between them. Whew – they are busy women – and I admire both of them for their accomplishments – God knew what He was doing when He gave me one child for certain!!

Okay – here’s another list – How my parents have blessed me:

Mom: Created in me a solid work ethic. Although she wanted to be home with us, she braved the work force and taught me that you push through and never quit. She also taught me to enjoy the sun and the beauty of nature – she has a remarkable green thumb. And don’t even get me started on what an amazing artist she is – no matter what medium she works in, she is incredible! Finally, she continually demonstrates grace…she has been through a lot in her life, and she approaches everyone with grace and dignity.


Dad: Demonstrated and encouraged leadership. No matter what he takes on, he always shakes out as the leader. His knowledge of God’s Word is impressive, and his passion for living out a life for Him is inspiring. Mom introduced me into a relationship with God, but my Dad and Stepmom watered and fed the relationship so it would bloom.


Stepmom: In one word – FUN! She always knows how to have fun. I love watching her with my son and my nieces and nephews – her house is where every kid wants to be! Even when there’s nothing to do, my son just loves to be at their house because somehow, some way, he’s going to enjoy himself. How many grandparents have a giant waterslide, a bounce house and a swing set all set up in the back yard? (Yes, my Dad has to put them all up, but it’s my Stepmom secretly prods the kids to ask grandpa.)


Stepdad: Independence – as a woman, I can do anything I set my mind to. From drywall and pouring concrete to changing my own oil – he taught us how to do it all. Of course, he appreciated us as girls too, but there’s no reason we shouldn’t learn how to correctly use a level and to set a chalk line!

Previously, I talked about us being the sum of all our parts – well, these are some of my parts. What parts has your family blessed you with?

No comments: