Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Questions

The other day my 15 year old son asked me a question that I couldn't answer. I don't remember now what the question was exactly, but I remember my response, "you will have to ask God when you get to heaven." Go Mom! This response is way better than "ask your father." Pull in the "spiritual stuff!" Of course, at 15, he just rolled his eyes and walked away.

But this morning as I was reading the daily devotion in Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers highlighted the following scripture:

"In that day you will ask Me nothing." John 16:23

To set the stage, Jesus was talking to His disciples about his death and resurrection and they were full of questions. He was assuring them that once the prophecy was fulfilled, they would have full understanding of what it meant. Well, duh! Of course they will understand what happened after the fact...it's the before part that was driving them crazy with questions!

Just like a little kid (or "not so little" like my 15 year old son), I have so many questions that I want to ask God when I get to sit at His feet in Heaven. But this scripture reminded me that I won't even need to ask...once it's all said and done, it will all be "said and done." I will be able to look back and recognize all of the amazingly intricate things/events/happenings that God knit together that were part of my tenure on the planet Earth. There will be no need to ask questions but to rest in the fact that He was my Creator, my Savior, my God.

But there's still one question - was it really necessary to create the dung beetle?

No comments: