Saturday, May 31, 2008

Take a Hike

No, I'm not telling you, my loyal blog readers, to take a figurative hike...but it wouldn't hurt to take a physical hike. (Actually, maybe it would hurt. I did such a thing on Friday, and boy am I paying for it today! Now, I'm a physically active person. I work out and do strength training at least 3 times a week, and I'm not afraid of a good physical challenge. Which is why I'm so amazed at the pain I feel today! But you know the saying, no pain, no gain.)

Was the hike worth it? Yup. Here's an account (yes, a list) of what I experienced:
  • 2 turtles.
  • 6 white tailed deer.
  • 1 green snake (actually, I can appreciate its beauty...even though it was a snake).
  • 1 lizard (can't recall what type).
  • 2 squirrels.
  • Numerous buzzards and other birds.
  • 1 salamander.
  • Hundreds of tadpoles.
  • 1 frog.
  • 3 different species of cray fish.
  • Many deep valleys and tall hills (yes, I climbed them).
  • Acres of waving red clover.
  • 1 stream of cool rushing water (perfect for tired feet).
  • 1 peanut butter and apple jelly sandwich (yum).
  • A great day with an incredible friend.

Point of this post? That you should get yourself outdoors and enjoy everything that God created. I'm not saying that you have to get extreme and hike 12 miles, but just get out. God has created a whole world just for us. God created the sun and the stars, He created all of the creatures of the earth and then He gave them to man "...have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth." Gen 1:28 He wanted us to enjoy and appreciate His creation.

So why are you sitting inside, reading this blog? Turn off the computer, get out and enjoy all that God created for us. And as you marvel at the beauty, remember to give Him thanks!

1 comment:

megan k said...

I'm thankful; but boy it sure is hot!! ;)