Monday, September 29, 2008

New Day - Volunteer Schedules

This weekend rocked!  We had 110% cast member (volunteer) attendance at the 9:45 service of Sanctuary and 90% attendance at the 11:30 service.  Absolutely amazing...and the first of this kind of "show rate" since I began on staff a mere 75 days ago!  To what do I attribute this success?  First, a volunteer came into our offices last week and placed a personal call to every single cast member.  Second, a ton of time on my knees before God.  Now, onto next week...

I'm still of the firm belief that serving more than once a month is not only a "good idea," but is actually necessary to make the ministry what God intends it to be...both for the kids and, dare I say it, the cast members.  Kids and adults alike thrive in consistent, loving environments.  With cast members serving only once a month, does that create a consistent environment?

We have created a culture where no one wants to be inconvenienced, but yet they want to feel needed.  A culture where folks want to feel like they have a purpose, a stake in something bigger than themselves, but they don't want to feel "trapped" by commitment.  Reality is...we can't have it all without some level of sacrifice.  

As I review the schedule for October, I am asking God for the level of commitment that He desires...and the ability for me to push for that commitment from our cast members.

Here's a recent post you might find interesting about this particular subject.  http://jabberfrog.com/2008/09/29/maximizing-volunteers/

No comments: