Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An Emotional Day

I'm not unfamiliar with sacrifice.  Giving up something so that something (or someone) else can benefit.  As a single mom, sacrifice is a way of life.  Today, I sacrificed so that a friend can be happy.  Let me explain.

Holly has been one of my best friends for 13+ years. She has been through a lot in her life - serious illness that has brought her to death's door more than once, divorce, and last year the death of her second husband.  She has helped me through incredibly tough times - debilitating illness, divorce and career challenges.  We have shared uncountable hours of laughter and tears.  
She has taught me a lot - the most important lesson has been to "push through."  When I was so weak that I couldn't lift myself out of a chair, she encouraged me to push through.  When I had to move into a tiny bedroom at my dad's house with my 15 yr old son, she repeated "push through."  Any time that I have struggled, she's been there holding me up and reminding me to "push through."

After her husband Gary died, I repeated her lesson to me...and she listened.  Since then, I have prayed that God would bless her abundantly and bestow upon her the happiness she deserves.  I didn't realize it would cause me to sacrifice.  Today, I had the last of my "every freakin' Tuesday" lunches with Holly because she is moving to Arkansas tomorrow to be with her new husband and his two daughters.  She is finally a mom!  And she is happy - abundantly so.

I...am sad.  I will miss her more than words can describe.  But I will sacrifice.  Holly - thank you for being there for me.  I know this is not goodbye - but only farewell for now.  I love you!

No comments: