Tuesday, November 30, 2010

40 Year Plan

As mentioned in my last (somewhat poorly written) post (I don't promise this one will be any better), I've always been fascinated with law.  After flirting with court reporting, I eventually became a legal assistant - working in franchise law, securities and eventually contracts.  Thinking about the legal impact of decisions has always been a knack...some might call it a sickness - depends upon your opinion of law practice.

So, I devised my "40 year plan."  Being a legal assistant wasn't enough - I wanted to be an attorney (commence eye rolling and attorney jokes now)!  And my goal was to become a lawyer by the time I turned 40.  Well...that was MY plan anyway.

I attended University of Oklahoma, and then University of Phoenix, dropping credits into the bucket that was to become my undergraduate degree - with my eyes set on University of Tulsa for my law degree.  It seemed like it was nearly impossible, with many years of school to make up for, but I was determined.

Then, one day, my entire plan was derailed.  My dreams were dashed.  Several factors entered into my decision to leave school (which is between me and my future highly-paid therapist).  I was destined to live my life with people asking me "Where did you get your degree," and my sad little answer being "Well, I went to OU..." knowing in my heart that I could never answer "I received my undergrad from OU and my JD from TU."

Don't you feel sorry for me?  (Ok, I know, not really.)  Now the good part.  Romans 8:28 says: 
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." 
God lead me into one of the most amazing places - His Kingdom!

Now that I wasn't attending class and studying, I had extra time on my hands.  What to do...what to do?  Well...maybe I'll start volunteering in the youth program at church.  I mean, that place is a hotbed of liability issues - they could sure use someone to enforce the rules!  I had absolutely no idea what God was going to do, and where He was going to lead me in my 40 year plan! 

He called me according to His purpose and has filled me more than I could ever have imagined - and it all happened when I turned 40.  Stay tuned...

No comments: