Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Court Reporter

So...awhile back I wrote about college and mentioned my stint in court reporting school.  I thought I'd explain a bit - let you in on a little "Robyn History."

My last year in high school, I took all business classes, was Vice President of Future Business Leaders of America, and was even awarded the Best Business Student of theYear award.  I took all of this with a grain of salt - in fact, I wasn't even going to go to the awards ceremony.  I was scheduled to work at Shakey's Pizza Parlor the night of the ceremony, so I didn't even think twice...that is until my school called my mom wondering why I wasn't going to be there to accept the award, she then called my work, and next thing I know I'm putting on a dress and sitting up on stage. 

So, my senior the high school counselor died tragically.  As a high school kid, this seemed to have little impact on me.  I mean, I'd never actually met the counselor (I was never in trouble, was a good student, and felt there wasn't a need).  But I now realize how this changed my life withouth even knowing it.  Of course, the school system assigned us a new counselor, she called me in and asked me my plans for college.  I looked at her with glazed eyes and said "I don't know.  My parents can't afford college."  That was pretty much the end of that.

One day, in one of my business classes, a man came in from a local court reporting trade school.  He explained how we could make a ton of money while sitting in a courtroom reporting all that's being said.  Sounds easy enough...I'm in!  I have always been intrigued by the law, this is a 2 year school, and sounds tons easier than the 8 years it would take to become a lawyer.  Sign me up! 

Now, how am I going to pay for it?  Turns out, my parents made too much money for me to get financial assistance. I was left to fend for myself, and as we learned earlier, I tend to take the path of least resistance.  So, I registered for school, signed a promissory note and began making payments of $150/ month...at 18% interest!  I was officially a student of court reporting school.

Moving right along...the court reporting itself was easy for me.  I was an fast typist (110 wpm on an old-fashioned typewriter), and had taken 3rd place at State for Shorthand (yep, another fascinating tidbit of info), so using this crazy machine came easy.  The classes were a little more difficult - I actually had to study.  But, one by one, I managed to get through them.  Then, about a year and a half into it...I realized something huge.  I have a PERSONALITY!  Court reporters (in my twisted thoughts at the time) don't have personalities, they just sit, take down the words and go home.  They never get to talk, never get to ask questions, and have to bow down to the whims of the judge and attorneys.  Forget that...I can no longer keep my mouth shut.  So, I quit.  Yep, about 3 months from graduating, I quit.

Disclaimer:  Court reports DO have personalities, and are valuable not only in the field of law, but also for closed captioning - I just don't have the personality to be a court reporter.

Where does this story go?  What's the moral, you ask?  Not much...just historical.  Although there are two tidbits you can take away:  (1) Don't let a "no" stop you from changing your future like I did when we didn't get financial help for college - I'm certain there were ways to get it funded, I just didn't pursue them fully enough; and (2) Never sign a promissory note for 18% interest - you'll be paying on it for years to come.

Oh...and if you need to know what a typewriter was, you can google "ancient artifacts from the mid to late 1900's."

No comments: