Monday, November 1, 2010

"New" Computer

Freedom!  Freedom is here!  Okay, I already had freedom through my savior, Jesus Christ, but I just recently received a gift that returned a freedom to me that I'd forgotten.

One our our AMAZING volunteers purchased a new computer and was looking for someone to give her old computer to.  When I was asked upon whom could she bestow this incredible gift, I sheepishly said "me."  Sheepishly, because I really don't like asking for things - I mean, I'm sure there's someone who needs it more than me, right?  Well, truth is, for 2+ years I've been using my work laptop for all my computing needs (for which I am EXTREMELY grateful).  This means that my high schooler can only use a computer for homework after I get home (which is sometimes quite late).  It also means that I can't download any software to the laptop for personal use.  Oh the horror!  So, I could really use a computer at home.

So, I accepted the gift with a huge amount of gratitude (although I did snoop around and see if there's anyone else that needed it more than me first)! 

Now, Josh is able to do his homework whenever he's home (thus taking away one more excuse for procrastinating).  And...here's the freedom...I'm able to use Quicken to balance my checkbook!  Yes, this is HUGE!  For 2+ years I've been semi-balancing the old-fashioned way, with varying degrees of success.  But today, I balanced the checkbook to my online account, scheduled transactions, and know to-the-penny how much money I will have once all of my bills have cleared.  Hallelujah!

Too bad this beautiful shiny computin' machine can't make those who owe me money pay up, so that my checkbook register looks more black than red.  Maybe someday...

No comments: