Friday, August 8, 2008

Kids in Big Church

I have recently been challenged to consider the merit of kids attending church with their parents as a family.  Like many people "my age" (whatever that means), I spent many Sundays sitting next to mom and dad in church, trying very hard not to wiggle and fidget, and equally hard not to fall asleep.  I can honestly say I don't remember a single sermon.  But, I did learn many things that have shaped my Christian walk today:

  • How to use a hymnal and the difference between it and the Bible;
  • That pews are very uncomfortable - especially the ones without padding;
  • That the pastor always has 3 points;
  • All of the words to "Come Just As You Are;"
  • That lunch after church is always crowded, but extra tasty.
  • Sorry - okay, seriously I learned:  What it means to worship God through song, prayer and the occasional "responsive reading;"
  • Respect for those around me as they may be worshipping differently than me;
  • Respect for Scripture as it is read aloud and studied;
  • The power of the family all believing in Christ together as we discussed the sermon during the extra tasty lunch at the local pancake house.
What I didn't learn in "Big Church" was how the foundational principles of faith in Christ could be applied to me as a child.  

As a Children's Pastor, my main mission is to do everything possible to bring children to Christ by first laying the foundational principles of God's love as evidenced by His son's life, death and resurrection...THEN teach them how to apply these principles now and for the rest of their lives.  I believe to do this effectively we must have an engaging, relevant, age-appropriate service each and every week.  

But, are we sacrificing some of the importance of family in ministry together?  Maybe a little - but I still believe kids in Big Church each week is not the answer.  However, I'm opening up to a new possibility - offering a "family friendly" service once a quarter where kids age 3 and up attend Big Church with mom and dad - giving kids a chance to hear, see, smell and feel what it means to share the experience of God with the entire family.  The conversations at the local IHOP may change a bit, but the difference will likely be seen years later when these kids have children of their own and are as engaged in church as they were when they were kids...because they know what to expect.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Tristie Fischer said...

Okay friend. You're talking my language now. I agree. Kids need age-appropriate presentation/teaching on a regular basis. Parents need the same. Then they all need the opportunity to come together. The real partnership would be pulling something off with a ripple-effect that draws that family worship experience into the home.

rabbi said...

I'd go with a "all family sit together" service on the 5th Sunday. It would need to be orchestrated well - with the "Big" service being produced and developed in such a way that each age group is applauded.

Remember getting called up for the "kids sermon"? That's what they did - only during lent - in the Lutheran church I grew up at... sitting with all the other kids - including my brothers... having Pastor Voeks speak to us kiddos in stories that I'd heard b4in Sunday School - but somehow took on an exceptional and new golden quality because the big guy was delivering it --- and he was within inches and touchable.

Very meaningful to a little Lutheran boy.