Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Where Did Time Go?

Yesterday life as I know it changed completely.  The day seemed bright enough and started out as any Monday with staff meetings and a debrief about the weekend's church experience.  Then, about 11:00 I received the first text message:

"Can you pick me up during 6th hour?"

My reply:  "Why?"

"Because Kyle's mom said the DMV gets really crowded after school, so I want to go early."

Yes, that's right - the Department of Motor Vehicles.  Yesterday, my son got his driver's permit.  Suddenly, the day wasn't as bright and it certainly wasn't business as usual!  Don't get me wrong - I'm very happy for Josh as he passes this milestone in his life.  But, it reminded me of my age (it's so cruel that when he gets older, so do I).  More importantly, however, it made it clear that the days of hugging, tickling and smooching all over Josh are done.  He is closer to manhood today than yesterday and my role as his mother is evolving. 

I will hold onto the memories of Josh as a child fondly and try to embrace the new experiences of him as a young "man."  A bright side - with his freedom, I gain some freedom.  Oh the cruel irony...

No comments: