Monday, August 4, 2008

Question

Want to hear your thoughts on this - please post your comment!  

Do you prefer a church service that is "roughly" 1 hour, with room for the Holy Spirit to "move" within worship or the message?  Or, do you prefer a predictable church service that starts on time and always ends on time, where worship and the message do not vary in length from week to week?

If you prefer a more "rigid" service that lasts exactly 1 hour each week, do you feel this gives the Holy Spirit time to move or are we putting "Him" in a box?

I can argue either way - just wondering what you think.

5 comments:

Dean said...

I grew up in a church that started and ended at the same time every week. (I slept though a lot of services.)

For the last 5 years I have gone to a Spirit Filled church and don't want the preaching to end.

I guess it seems crazy for me to think God should move on my schedule... LOL!

Paula said...

My cousin and I have had this same conversation. She goes to a church that is Spirit filled and their services are from 2-4...2-6...2-9, however the Spirit is moving. Which is great for some, I would prefer the 'estimated' times that are preset. I grew up in a Southern Baptist church so I understand 'estimated' time. It only took a 1-hr service at LifeChurch.tv to move me back to Christ. It would be nice if there were an option to have it both ways...maybe someday.

Dave said...

i was pretty much going to write EXACTLY what "dean" wrote. Craig is so awesome I just get wrapped up in it and dont even realize how long i've been there.

Robyn S Brinkley said...

Thanks for your input! While I greatly appreciate the predictability of a 1 hour service - and kids and cast members equally appreciate it - there's something to be said to a little "Holy Spirit" flexibility.

rabbi said...

I can say with some confidence that in my 40 years in church the moments that have been Christ-forming and therefore life-transforming have happened in fresh HS moments that have been painted outside the lines of a rigid stopwatch. So my experience would err on the side of flexibility.