Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Forgiveness

The Father wrote His autograph
Upon a cross of shame,
With pen divine, all dipped in blood,
“Forgiven in Jesus’ name.”   -Bosch-
 Well, another theme emerged in my devotions this morning.  The devotions were not about forgiveness themselves, but God used the words written to remind me to forgive.
For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. (Matthew 6:14, 15 NIV)
As I strive to become a Scripture Recaller, I remember that Jesus spoke very clearly about forgiveness as chronicled throughout the Gospels.

Indeed, much has been written about forgiveness throughout the centuries.  I am sure there is likely a step-by-step guide somewhere on the book shelves of our local store, so I don't intend to be too verbose here.  Simply put, God provided forgiveness to me through His son Jesus Christ. Because of His love and sacrifice, I am to forgive those who do me wrong.

Scripture also tells me I must actually go one step further and not only forgive, but love those who wrong against me, as God himself loves them. Neither forgiveness nor love are easy! I have a long way to go to reconcile my heart with God's desires in this area!

I am going to leave you with the following scripture.  I could certainly write more, but I'm a shining example of a "work in progress," so I had best let the scriptures do the talking! Peace My Friends!

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you this: Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you. In this way you show that you are children of your Father in heaven. He makes his sun rise on people whether they are good or evil. He lets rain fall on them whether they are just or unjust. If you love those who love you, do you deserve a reward? Even the tax collectors do that! Are you doing anything remarkable if you welcome only your friends? Everyone does that! That is why you must be perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect. (Matthew 5:43-48 GWT)

No comments: