Monday, September 16, 2013

On the Brink of Contentment

...I am content in whatever situation I am in...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:11b, 13. GVT

I have recited this scripture dozens upon dozens of times.  In fact, at the beginning of each work day, I write "Philippians 4:13" at the top of my customer note pad to remind myself that no matter what a customer throws at me, I can handle it with His divine help.

As I face another "interesting" journey, I again call upon this scripture (as well as others) to help me through. You see, I have two illnesses - an autoimmune disorder called polymyositis which is fairly uncommon, and the much more common disorder fibromyalgia.  The first illness can be life threatening if not managed, and both disorders are life altering.  By eating right and exercising fairly regularly, I had them somewhat under control. In fact, God had placed the polymyositis in remission when I was a leader at kid's camp in 2005, which began the path into ministry for the next 6 years.

Then, early this year I began experiencing dizzy spells, vision impairment, speech issues, difficulty thinking clearly, extreme fatigue...and the list goes on.  Oh...and hair loss! No, not the hair!  (If you know me, I really love the slight streaks of purple carefully placed in my brunette locks!)

The concern now? Multiple sclerosis. To add insult to injury, the fibromyalgia is back with a vengeance and polymyositis may be present as well. I know, really? I am awaiting testing to make the diagnosis.

While I am certainly concerned about the diagnosis, treatment, and my finances, for the first time in this crazy journey, I am more content than I have ever been.  God has shown His face so many times that there is little way I can deny His presence.  He has reminded me that He is my shepherd and will take care of Me, a single sheep. As part of His flock. He is my shepherd and I shall not want.

Just as God cared for Paul in prison, Peter on the water, Jonah in the belly of the whale, the Israelites as they were chased to the Red Sea by the Egyptians, He will care for me.

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23:1-6 NIV)
What are you facing? His promises are true.  Through Christ, gain strength.  Face your troubles, give them to God and be content in all circumstances.  It is not easy, but it is possible through Christ.

Shalom my friends.

No comments: