Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Scripture Recaller

Today's theme in my devotions was to study and remain in God's Word to guide, protect and deliver. Without being in the Word, we become saturated in the world.  (What a difference one letter can make.)  

It is funny to me how I read my first devotion and had the thought, "Yeah, I'm NOT a good Scripture Recaller, so I need to befriend one or two Bible Scholars to fill in where I am weak.  Then...I opened my next devotion on YouVersion.  You guessed it, very same topic! God, are you trying to tell me something? Cuz I'm a bit dull sometimes.

Becoming a fully-devoted follower of Christ is a life-long journey.  As I move along this path, I face many obstacles.  Without God's guidance, each obstacle becomes more difficult to maneuver.  Where do I find His guidance? Through the Holy Spirit and...wait for it...the Bible.  If I'm not fluent in His Word, how can I possibly expect to clear each hurdle?

I realized, while it would be extremely beneficial to surround myself with Bible Scholars, it is high time that I invest more energy in His Word - more of myself learning the very truths He breathed that have withstood the ages.  I do not have to become a scholar, but I do need to be a Word Researcher, a Scripture Junkie, a Bible Engager...how else will I ever become a Scripture Recaller?

In the beginning was the Word. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. All things were made through Him, and apart from Him nothing was made that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overpowered it. (The Gospel according to John 1:1-5 TLV)

No comments: