Saturday, April 26, 2008

Customer Service

What's up with customer service these days? From the check-out lines at Wally World to the drive-through window at McHeartAttack it seems like the world is full of angry, hateful mumblers just waiting for their shift to end. An example - when I get my morning Fruit and Yogurt Parfait from the Dollar Menu, I deposit my money at the first window with the lady in the headset who takes my $1.09 without ever looking up. Then I drive to the second window where my food is hanging out the window, flapping in the breeze like a ring waiting for the jouster to pick it off the hook. They are expecting me to roll through without engaging the person attached to the other end of the food, but I foil their plan every time! I actually stop, say hello, smile and tell them to have a great day, at which point they scowl as if to say "dare me."

There is one place that I always receive amazing service - a local Village Inn. Every Friday morning I meet my dad for breakfast, which we've been doing now for about 3 years. We began meeting at IHOP and fell in love with a waitress there named Tammy Queen (yes, that's her real name). Tammy actually began waiting on us when the other waitroids at IHOP didn't want to serve us - I guess we were too much trouble. You see, we actually expected our food to come out the way we ordered it...omelette not runny, food at least lukewarm...don't get me started.

Anyway - Tammy treats us so well, that when she left IHOP, we followed her to Village Inn. She genuinely cares - and she likes US! Tammy makes sure our food is what we ordered and fills our drinks when they're the slightest bit low. Since we are there every week, she even has our table set up with our drinks when we arrive. And...gulp...she smiles! She is the epitome of quality customer service! In return, she gets an amazing tip and she has become a good friend. Now...if I can just get her to church!

Her life is no better, nor worst than anyone else's - so what makes her stand out from others? It is because she cares about people.

There are many books written and hundreds of seminars about customer service - but the best demonstrations are in the Bible. Jesus gave us immeasurable examples of what it means to serve other people - his whole life was based on it. Why can't we take Jesus' example of "customer service" and enjoy serving each other, like He served the woman who risked everything to touch His robe; like He served the disciples when He washed their feet; like He served those whom He healed; like He served us when He accepted his death on the cross.

Do we treat everyone as if we may have to give up our lives for them someday? Do we even treat other people with civility, honor and humility? Don't get me wrong, I don't expect the Fruit and Yogurt Parfait out-the-window holder to give up her life for me, but it would be nice to know that she might actually care...just simply because.

No comments: