Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Guest Blog

I read something a friend recently wrote and it touched me so much that I asked permission to share. If we were lucky enough to have family who helped lay our Christian foundation, it is important for us to honor them with our time and prayers...and tell them Thank You! Here it is - Thanks Amy Kirkpatrick for sharing!

"I went to see my great-grandmother the other day at the nursing home. She’s 99 and it’s a rare day that she remembers any of our names. But, this day was a good day! Not good because she knew who I was, but good because of the moment. I showed up briefly to say hi and to be on my way. My dad was there and as always, asked me to play the piano. I didn’t have any of my music with me and was very hesitant, but I knew how much it meant to him. He found a hymnal for me and in my head I was thinking, “Yeah! Not only do I get to sight read songs I’ve never played, but it’s a hymnal!” ha ha. I played a few songs and the last song I played was “The Old Rugged Cross”. As I started, I began to sing the words. My allergies were acting up and my voice was hoarse, but shortly after I began I heard my great-grandmother start singing. She sang every word of the song from memory, as I played it through 3 times. When I finished, she said, “Now that was fun.” My eyes started to water, because at the end of the day, even though she probably didn’t recognize me, she knew the words to this amazing song about Christ. Even though her mind confuses her, her one constant was and is still God.

After a moment, she looked at me and said, “I have been blessed with great children and I hope the good Lord lets me stay around longer, so that I can just be with them.”

Isn’t it amazing the things the mind thinks of or remembers? To be in that moment and to see the thoughts of a mind that constantly searches, yet seems to be so founded in that one thing. Christ says he is not a God of confusion, but instead, gives our minds peace. I was left in this moment, in awe, completely able to see Christ’s beauty, wonder and power. It let me see a glimpse of everyone’s purpose in this world. I think at times we have a tendency to discount people because of their old age or health issues, but God never does. Every living person has a specific purpose in Christ. My great-grandmother, even in the midst of her fragile state, only claimed God."

No comments: