Monday, April 14, 2008

Ropes Course - Success Continued

Today the Tulsa campus team of Lifechurch.tv conquered a ropes course. The experience was incredible while also emotionally and physically exhausting. While I would not initially have thought of this experience as relating to the blog about Success, I have since changed my mind.

At the beginning of the day, we participated in several "team building" exercises which affirmed our belief and trust in each other. I'm sure many of you have participated in these things before and are not unfamiliar with the concept of "team." Turns out - our TEAM is pretty stinkin' awesome!!! One of the elements was a teeter-tawter of massive proportions. We were all required to be on the element at the same time, and then figure out how to make the teeter-tawter balance. Sounds easy...but of course, if it were easy, it wouldn't be on the course! After many boughts of gut-wrenching laughter, and several attempts at different scenarios, we finally settled down and got the thing balanced.

After team building, we tackled the ropes course, starting with climbing a rock wall and ending with a zip line. Relatively simple - unless, of course, you are afraid of heights or have the balance of a 3-legged bull. Although I don't fear heights, my balance is less than stellar...okay, it stinks big time! But, I figured, No Big Deal, right? Well, this was truly a lonely experience! After spending all morning working with 8 other people, knowing I can trust them to "get my back," here I was all alone with just my harness and lovely helmet!

As a team, we experienced success...together, we reached our goal. But it was when I was by myself that success was elusive. My goal was to get through the elements not only once, but twice, so that I could be better the second time. A worthy goal, but complete realization was not found today. After I conquered the swinging 4 x 4s, rope wall and tight wire, I recognized that the balance of this 43 year old body was not sufficient to tackle two other elements. The legs were shaky and I just wasn't interested in doing the splits between two tires swinging 30 feet in the air. I had to back off and admit defeat.

Defeat...but, not entirely. I will not allow it to overshadow the successes...one element at a time. So overall - was it a success? Absolutely! Next goal...hot, long, soaking bath!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a good time! Building up your faith in yourself, each other and God! Where is this at in Tulsa?

Robyn S Brinkley said...

The ropes course is a Tulsa Public Schools facility somewhere north of 11th and Peoria and is used mostly for school group activities. Nice facility!!