Monday, April 21, 2008

When God Doesn't Make Sense

The next series here at LifeChurch.tv is on Habakkuk. God revealed to Habakkuk that He was going to use Babylon - the evil, unjust nation - to serve judgment on His people. What? Why in the world would God use a nation who thrives on stealing, killing and destroying to serve judgment on His own people? Why would he give Babylon the satisfaction?

"God, you're from eternity, aren't you? Holy God, we aren't going to die, are we? God, you chose Babylonians for your judgment work? Rock-Solid God, you gave them the job of discipline? But you can't be serious!..." Habakkuk 1:12-13 (The Message).

Sometimes, God just doesn't make sense. Sometimes, He asks things of us that require obedience - and seem illogical. And sometimes, obedience hurts. For me, I have tried of late to "reason away" what He's asked me to do because in my mind, it just doesn't seem right. I mean, why would God bring me to this place in my life only to downshift and take a different turn. I feel like I have been on the right path, have been obedient to His will for my life...why would he suddenly ask for what seems to me to be a detour?

The truth is...I don't know, but because He is my God, I will follow Him, no matter where He leads - even if it takes me awhile to act because I'm trying to argue my way out. (If you know me at all, then you know that I can argue with the best of them.) "The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights." Habakkuk 3:18. (NIV) Just like Habakkuk, I will find my strength in God because He has given me faith that whatever His plan, it will be perfect. "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11

What about you? Does God always make sense?

2 comments:

Jason Mick said...

Good thoughts!!

Anonymous said...

In the end I think He does. When I was single, it was so frustrating ending relationships because I wanted to be in them, not wanting to realize that God knew what He wanted for me. I'm glad He put me through the things that didn't (and still don't!) make sense, for it has made me more understanding, tolerant, compassionate of others as well as myself.