Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Reflections - Day 2

Today's reflection is on adventure.  Joshua is adventurous, yet practical - truly a mirror reflection of me who is practical with a sense of adventure.  I sometimes wish I were adventurous first, and thankfully as I get older my sense of adventure is becoming more prevalent.  Maybe it's true that you revert back to your childhood tendencies as you age.

When Josh was growing up we had all the toys - a boat, Sky Ski, 4-wheelers, go-cart.  Josh particularly enjoyed the 4-wheelers.  He had a mini-Raptor and we would take him and his buddy Kyle out to Appalachia Bay and other places so he could ride.  He loved it! He was in his element when all four wheels were off the ground.  That's my boy!

As I reflect, I remember often being nervous as I watched him jump his mini-Raptor, or as he learned to BMX and did tricks in the air.  Nervous wasn't the word - it was more like terrified.  Fear of him getting hurt was sometimes overwhelming.  Fear is natural for a mother whose instinct is to protect her young, but I realize now that fear sometimes kept me from understanding the joy he was feeling as he was flying through the air. 

As time passed, Josh's practical side appeared - partly because that's who he is and partly because of our experiences.  But his sense of adventure is still there. He has graduated to a 4-wheel drive truck instead of an ATV, and this winter it found itself parked on top of several snow drifts.  But at the same time, he is aware of his responsibilities as a student, an employee, a son, and a child of God.

I pray that I will always nurture that sense of adventure.  The foundation has been poured, he is becoming a responsible citizen.  But every once in awhile, I want him to experience the joy of four wheels off the ground.

No comments: