Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Reflections - Day 3

Two more days and Josh will be 18.  Today, God is reminding me of several scriptures which I have spoken to Josh and prayed over him countless times:

"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6 (KJV)
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans." Proverbs 16:3 (NIV)
As a mother, I want the best for my child, and the best is what God wants - God's plans for Josh's life.  So I began praying these scriptures early in his life.

At 18, Josh doesn't have the slightest clue what his future looks like.  His plans currently consist of saving for a newer truck, applying for college, and finishing high school.  Overall, short-term goals that will move him toward long-term results.  But God has plans - BIG plans - lifelong plans - for Josh. 

As his mother, my largest responsibilities have been to teach him about God, lead him to understand his personal savior in Jesus Christ, to love people, to understand grace and to have faith.  (Also teach him how to cook, do laundry, clean his bathroom, etc. - his future wife will thank me - but I digress).  In short, establish his beliefs and lay the moral and ethical foundation upon which the rest of his life will be built.

I pray that I have trained Josh up in the way that he should go, so that in the end, Josh will not depart from it.  God has promised that if I do my part, He will do the rest.  Josh's plans are already established - and I can hardly wait to see what they are.

No comments: