Monday, February 14, 2011

Reflections of a Mother

My son Joshua turns 18 this week.  As the calendar turns from Thursday to Friday, Josh's status changes in the eyes of the law.  He will be able to legally sign a contract, his insurance premium is reduced, and he can purchase his own shotgun ammunition without me.  Many opportunities open up to him starting Friday. 

And the reality hit me this morning - my boy will become a man.  Bittersweet, bittersweet indeed.

This week will be dedicated to reflecting on the journey of raising him so far, and the dreams for his future.

Like many mothers, when Josh was born I had an idealistic opinion of what it meant to be a mother, and to have a family.  He was, of course, perfect!  I was infatuated with his fingers and toes - that God could knit together something so perfect and give it life was absolutely amazing to me!

Reality of providing for, and caring for another human being set in fairly quickly.  But I was up for the task.  Throughout these past 18 years, my survival instinct has had to kick in a number of times, and so it did shortly after Josh was born.  The story is long and sorted, but suffice it to say I was willing (although I can't say I felt ready) to do anything and everything to provide for this child.

So many firsts - smile, steps, Christmas, birthday, word - I remember them all, and each brought joy to my heart that I had never felt before.  God provided me with a child - a son - and it was good.

I am in love with him more today than I was on the day he was first born.  I thank my God that He cared enough to send Josh into this world, to give me the honor of raising him, for protecting him in the past and future, and for creating such a sweet, caring heart who loves me and loves the God who created him.

And for those of you who are wondering - no, I'm not old enough to have an 18 year old child - maybe YOUR calendar says I am, but my calendar stopped about 10 years ago.

No comments: