Monday, January 3, 2011

21 Day Fast

Today begins a 21 Day Fast.  Our senior pastor, Craig Groeschel of LifeChurch.tv, called the church to begin a 21 day fast.  (I've actually heard from several people at different churches that their pastors are also calling for a fast - I absolutely LOVE how God brings the church together.)  As I begin this journey, one of my goals is to begin writing more consistently - so here it goes.

This morning, I read Day 1 of the 21 Day Fast Reading Plan on YouVersion.com.  As part of the reading, it suggested that I write what specific clarity or vision I desire from God during this journey.  As I began to write, I realized how inconvenient this fast is for me, and how I'd really rather not give up cheese and butter, even if it's for God and His church.

Once I got past my selfishness, I began to journal the areas where I'm seeking God's clarity.  This list was long.  So very long.  You see, if I were truly seeking God with all my heart, mind, and passion daily - if I truly give everything to God and give up my own conveniences - the way He desires - daily - then maybe the list would say something like "World Peace," or "For Jesus to come and Rapture His Church."  But, I'm a flawed human being, a selfish sinner...and so my list is long.

Today, I will focus on being inconvenienced for God - the author and finisher of my faith - my provider - my counselor - my Father - my Creator.  And I will pray over my long list, and pray that He looks down on this selfish sin-filled human being and gives me strength and determination to focus on Him and not on my inconveniences.

No comments: