Thursday, January 6, 2011

Farming and Administration

How do farming and administration fit together?  Well, you'll see.  As an administrative pastor, I spend each day handling administrative tasks that help run our church office and also prepare us for the weekend.  Ordering supplies, scheduling volunteers, managing budgets...there are numerous tasks that must be completed before each Sunday's services.  Sometimes I get so caught up in these tasks that I forget the reason they're necessary - for the people.

Hitting Day 4 of the Fast, God is beginning to really stir my soul.  He's showing me that although what I do on a daily basis is "behind the scenes" and sometimes mundane, it has eternal significance.  It's not unlike a farmer who must ready the soil with the proper nutrients, plant the seeds, protect the plants from pests, and then harvest the crop.  The farmer does months of prep work before he ever gets to reap the harvest from even one plant.

The farmer lives for the harvest.  And just like the farmer, I live for the harvest of people - to see their lives changed each and every week.  Luckily for me, my prep work is only a week long - I don't have to wait as long as the farmer to see the harvest.  Each and every Sunday, I get to see first hand God's harvest after I've readied the soil - after I've done the prep work according to His will.

So if you ask me what I do during the week?  Well, I farm. And on Sundays, I get to pull out the combine and reap God's harvest.  So, if you see me on my combine in the church lobby, climb aboard! I'd love for you to farm with me!

No comments: