Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 2

So far, my commitment to writing more often has stuck.  Granted, it's only Day 2...but I'm holding out hope!

Yesterday went fairly well overall - with one exception.  My sweet 17-yr old son wanted to take me out to dinner - to Cheesecake Factory!  I initially told him no, that I'm on this fast and can't really eat anything (at least not anything worthwhile at such a temple of temptation - I mean really, the place should just be built as a gingerbread house covered in candy).  But I heard a true disappointment in my son's voice as I uttered the words "fast" and "I can't eat anything there." 

So, I figured I'd take one for the team - go to Cheesecake Factory and see what I could possibly eat - and spend some quality time with my son.  I figured I would have to ask them to steam some veggies for me, or whip up some kind of fruit plate, but I was pleasantly surprised - they had fresh made guacomole (which meant all veggies, no preservatives or additivies).

I was able to stick with my commitment to God to forego any delectable delight (although my son tried to tempt me with a bite of his red velvet cheesecake).  And as an added bonus - I demonstrated to my son what it means to commit your life, and your inconveniences, to God...and stick to it.

Just so you know, I am praying fervently that my son doesn't want to try another restaurant in the next 19 days because I'm afraid I won't be as strong! Lord, hear my prayer.

No comments: