Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dog Days

A song lyric keeps running through my mind this morning - "the dog days are over."  I am absolutely clueless why, but I can't stop singing it.  I keep trying to correlate this lyric to my reading, to draw out some kind of higher meaning - a message from God.  But...nothing. 

The dog days are over.  Well, duh!  It's winter!  And it's cold outside.  Maybe God's trying to tell me to dress appropriately?

But - just as I almost give up trying to find some deep spiritual significance of this song, I read through John 17 and come across this:

"My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.  They are not of the world, even as I am not of it."  John 17:15-16
I don't remember all of the lyrics of the song in my head, but because it is a secular song, I doubt that they're entirely wholesome and ready to be turned into a hymn.  But as it continues to bounce around in my little pea brain, I am reminded that I am not OF the world, even though I am IN the world.  Because I am in this world, I am surrounded by music, movies, television shows and other influences that are OF this world. 


Jesus cared enough to pray for me before he was crucified - he knew that there would be influences in the 21st century that didn't exist in his time.  He knew how twisted and corrupt the world was and how much worst it would get - and he prayed for me.
 
Jesus taught his disciples and prayed to the Father...
"As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world." John 17:18
 
God sent Jesus to earth, Jesus trained his disciples and sent them out into the world, and they taught others who finally reached me.  Just like Jesus' disciples, I am influenced in this world because I am IN it.  But because of Jesus, I am not OF it.  What I do IN this world is what matters.
 
The dog days are over - it's just a song that I heard on the radio and it is still bouncing around in my head.  But it has meaning - meaning in this world.
 
I get the message loud and clear - and thank you God, I will dress appropriately.

No comments: