Monday, January 31, 2011

Speak Volumes Not Pages

I read a passage the other day that I'm sure I've read before, but it just didn't pop out like it did this time.
"Jesus did many other things as well.  If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."  John 21:25
The Gospels (the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) document much of Jesus' ministry.  His teachings, movements, miracles, arrest, conviction, death and resurrection are all told within these books.  The Gospels are full of so many stories that help lay the foundation of our Christian faith.  I never truly considered the fact that there was much more to tell.  Well, sure, I realize that because there isn't a day-to-day diary of everything Jesus did, there was more to His life than what's documented in the Gospels.  But, I never really considered how MUCH more!  Then, I read the John 21:25 "the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."

Jesus was only 33 when he was crucified.  Thirty-three years on this earth, and much of that He spent preparing for His ministry before He ever assembled His disciples.  His life was short, yet He did so much.

The question I had to ask myself is - What have I done lately?  When it's all said and done, how much of an impact will I have on the Kingdom?  How many pages will it take to document what I've accomplished? 

Let me be clear, I'm in no way comparing myself to Jesus -  He was God in human form.  But if I believe the Scriptures, I have God in me and He wants to do immeasurably more than I could ever ask, think or imagine.

What have I done for the Kingdom?  Will what God does through me fill only one page, or will it fill volumes?  Or will it even be worth writing down? 

This passage of Scripture is inspiring "Jesus did other things as well...the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."  What have I done that is worth documenting? And what will I do in the future?

What have YOU done for the Kingdom?  How many volumes will it take to document your Kingdom works?

No comments: