Thursday, January 27, 2011

Reflection

Ever have one of those moments (or series of moments) where you just get so irritated and let everyone around you know?  Yeah, me neither.  Okay - I actually have those moments entirely too frequently!  Yesterday was a good example.  Someone "pushed my buttons" in a way that just sent irritation and frustration through every cell in my body.  Let me rephrase - I allowed someone to irritate and frustrate me, and I shared it with everyone within ear shot.

"As water reflects the face, so one's life reflects the heart." Proverbs 27:19
As I was reading this morning, God slapped me with this Proverb.  One of my numerous flaws is that I wear my heart on my sleeve. No matter what emotion I may be dealing with at any given time, it is evident to anyone who I come in contact with. Whether I'm sad, irritated, angry, or happy, it's apparent.

I admire those people who always seem like nothing bothers them - they appear to be like ducks with the water of emotions skimming off of their backs. They truly have their hearts in the right place - mine...sometimes I wonder if God put my heart somewhere down in my toes.

I recognize my reaction to life is the only thing I can control.  I can't control anyone around me - I can only be responsible for how I handle it.  And I have to start with my heart condition.  I've known this for a long time, and I've made great strides in transforming my emotions...but I still have a long way to go. 

I want more than anything for my life to reflect a pure, loving, caring, merciful, and passionate heart.  I'm getting there - and with God's grace and direction, am praying that, someday, I'll be able to look back at a life that truly reflects God's heart. 

What about you?  What does your life reflect?

No comments: